Sean B. Fain Ph.D.
Professor with tenure, Vice Chair for Research and Director of the Image Analysis Core Facility, MRI and CT Imaging
B.S., Geology, University of California, Davis, CA
B.S., Physics, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN
Ph.D., Biomedical Imaging and Biophysics, Mayo Graduate School, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
1995-2000 - Research Assistant, Mayo Graduate School, Rochester, MN, Ph.D. Advisor: Stephen J. Riederer, Ph.D.
2000-2002 - Post-doctoral Fellow in the Laboratory of Charles A. Mistretta, Ph.D., UW-Madison, WI
2002-2007 - Assistant Professor of Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin-School of Medicine & Public Health, Madison, WI
2008-present - Associate Professor of Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin-School of Medicine & Public Health, Madison, WI
1989 - Honorable Mention, National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship Award
1991 - Geological Sciences Department Fellowship, University of California - Santa Barbara
1994 - Undergraduate Research Opportunities Grant (UROP), University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
1999 - Magna Cum Laude Citation for Exhibition Titled, "Carotid MRA: A Decade of Development," 85th annual meeting of the RSNA
2001 - National Cancer Institute/UW Radiological Sciences Post-Doctoral Training Grant
2002 - International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) Student Travel Stipend
2004 - Sandler Program for Asthma Research, Junior Investigator Award
2005 - Image of the year ($10K), Concorde Systems User group, PET/MRI of inflammation and ventilation.
2006 - Herbert M. Stauffer Award for Best Science Paper of 2005 published in Academic Radiology
2007 - Hartwell Foundation Individual Biomedical Engineering Research Award
American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM)
Tau Beta Pi Engineering Society
Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
American Association for the Advancement of Science
U.S. Patent #6,459,264: issued October 1, 2002. Real-time embedded magnetic resonance fluoroscopy
U.S. Patent #6,201,986: issued March 13, 2001. Synchronized k-space sampling in magnetic resonance angiography.
U.S. Patent #6,198,960: issued March 6, 2001. Flip angle modulated magnetic resonance angiography.
- O'Halloran RL, Holmes JH, Wu Y-C, Alexander A, Fain SB. Heilum-3 MR q-space Imaging with Radial Acquisition and Iterative Highly Constrained Back-Projection. Magn Reson Med 2009; Accepted.
- Holmes JH, O'Halloran RL, Peterson ET, Brodsky EK, Bley TA, Francois CJ, Velikina JV, Sorkness RL, Busse WW, Fain SB. Three Dimensional Imaging of Ventilation Dynamics in Asthmatics Using Multi-echo Projection Acquisition with Constrained Reconstruction. Magn Reson Med 2009; Accepted.
- Smith MR, Zhai X, HarterR, Sisney G, Elezabye M, Fain SB. A novel MR-guided interventional device for 3D circumferential access to breast tissue. Med Phys. 2008 Aug; 35(8):3779-86.
- Fain SB, Gonzalez-Fernandez G, Peterson ET, Evans MD, Sorkness RL, Jarjour NN, Busse WW, Kuhlman JE. Evaluation of Structure-Function Relationships in Asthma using Multidetector CT and Hyperpolarized He-3 MRI. Acad Radiol 2008;15(6):753-762.
- Holmes JH, O'Halloran RL, Brodsky EK, Jung Y, Block WF, Fain SB. 3D hyperpolarized He-3 MRI of ventilation using a multi-echo projection acquisition. Magn Reson Med 2008;59(5):1062-1071.
- O'Halloran RL, Wen Z, Holmes JH, Fain SB. Iterative Projection Reconstruction of Time-Resolved Images using Highly Constrained Back Projection (HYPR). Magn Reson Med 2008 Jan;59(1):132-9.
- Erickson MG, Kurpad KN, Holmes JHH, and Fain SB, A TEM Transmission Line Coil with Double Nuclear Capability, Magn Reson Med 2007 Oct;58(4):800-7.
- Du J, Fain SB, Korosec FR, Grist TM, Mistretta CA. Time-resolved contrast-enhanced carotid imaging using undersampled projection reconstruction acquisition. JMRI 25(5):1093-9; 2007 (May).
- Fain SB, Korosec FR, Holmes JH, O'Halloran R, Sorkness RL, and Grist TM. Functional Lung Imaging Using Hyperpolarized Gas MRI. J. Magn Reson Imaging 25(5):910-923; 2007 (May).
- O'Halloran RL, Holmes JH, Altes TA, Salerno M, Fain SB. The effects of SNR on ADC measurements in diffusion-weighted hyperpolarized He-3 MRI. J Magn Reson 185(1):42-49; 2007.
- Holmes JH, Korosec FR, Du J,O'Halloran RL, Sorkness RL, Grist TM, Kuhlman JE, Fain SB, Imaging of lung ventilation and dynamics in a single respiratory cycle using hyperpolarized He-3 MRI. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2007 Sep;26(3):630-6.
- Djamali A, Sadowski E, Muehrer R, Reese S, Smavatkul C, Vidyasagar A, Fain S, Lipscomb RC, Hullett DA, Samaniego-Picota M, Grist T, Becker B. BOLD-MRI assessment of Intrarenal Oxygenation and Oxidative Stress in Patients with Chronic Kidney Allograft Dysfunction. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 292(2):F513-22; 2007 (Feb).
- Djamali A, Sadowski EA, Samaniego-Picota M, Fain SB, Muehrer RJ, Alford SK, Grist TM, Becker BN. Noninvasive assessment of early kidney allograft dysfunction by blood oxygen level-dependent magnetic resonance imaging. Transplantation 82(5):621-8; 2006 (Sept).
- Newman GC, Hospod FE, Patlak CS, Fain SB, Pulfer KA, Cook TD, O'Sullivan FJ. Experimental estimates of the constants relating signal change to contrast concentration for cerebral blood volume by T2* MRI. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 26(6):760-70; 2006 (June).
- Fain SB, Korosec FR, Holmes JH, O'Halloran R, Sorkness RL, Grist TM. Invited Review: Functional Lung Imaging Using Hyperpolarized Gas MRI J. Magn. Reson. Image 2006 (accepted).
- Fain SB, Panth SR, Evans MD, Wentland AL, Holmes JH, Korosec FR, O'Brien M, Fountaine H, and Grist TM. 3He MRI Detects Early Emphysematous Changes in Asymptomatic Smokers. Radiology 239(3)875-883 (2005).
- Fain SB, Altes T, Panth S, et al. Detection of age-dependent changes in healthy adult lungs with diffusion weighted 3He MRI. Academic Radiology 12(11): 1385-1393 (2005).
- Sadowski EA, Fain SB, Alford SK, Korosec FR, Fain J, Meuhrer R, Djamali A, Hofmann RM, Becker BN, Grist TM. Assessment of Acute Renal Transplant Rejection with BOLD MRI: Initial Experience. Radiology 236:911-919 (2005).
- Holmes J, Sorkness R, Meibom SK, Sundaram SK, Perlman SB, Converse AK, Pyzalski RW, Hahn AD, Korosec FR, Grist TM, Fain SB. Nonivasive Mapping of Regional Response to Segmental Challenge Using MRI and FDG-PET. Magn Reson. Med. 53:1243-1250.
- Fain SB, Browning FJ, Polzin JA, J Du J, Zhou Y, Block WF, Grist TM, Mistretta CA. Floating Table Isotropic Projection Acquisition (FLIPR): A Time Resolved 3D Method for Extended Field-of-View MRI During Continuous Table Motion. Magn. Reson. Med. 52:1093-1102 (2004).
- Du J. Thornton FJ. Fain SB. Korosec FR. Browning F. Grist TM. Mistretta CA. Artifact reduction in undersampled projection reconstruction MRI of the peripheral vessels using selective excitation. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 51(5):1071-6, 2004 May.
- Du J. Fain SB. Gu T. Grist TM. Mistretta CA. Noise reduction in MR angiography with nonlinear anisotropic filtering. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 19(5):632-9, 2004 May.
- Du J. Carroll TJ. Block WF. Fain SB. Korosec FR. Grist TM. Mistretta CA. SNR improvement for multiinjection time-resolved high-resolution CE-MRA of the peripheral vasculature. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 49(5):909-17, 2003 May.
- Du J. Carroll TJ. Wagner HJ. Vigen K. Fain SB. Block WF. Korosec FR. Grist TM. Mistretta CA. Time-resolved, undersampled projection reconstruction imaging for high-resolution CE-MRA of the distal runoff vessels. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 48(3):516-22, 2002 Sep.
- Mazaheri Y. Carroll TJ. Du J. Block WF. Fain SB. Hany TF. Aagaard BD. Strother CM. Mistretta CA. Grist TM. Combined time-resolved and high-spatial-resolution 3D MRA using an extended adaptive acquisition. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 15(3):291-301, 2002 Mar.
- Fain SB. Riederer SJ. Huston J 3rd. King BF. Embedded MR fluoroscopy: high temporal resolution real-time imaging during high spatial resolution 3D MRA acquisition. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 46(4):690-8, 2001 Oct.
- Bernstein MA. Fain SB. Riederer SJ. Effect of windowing and zero-filled reconstruction of MRI data on spatial resolution and acquisition strategy. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 14(3):270-80, 2001 Sep.
- Fain SB. Riederer SJ. Dependence of venous enhancement on the field of view in 3D contrast-enhanced MRA using the elliptical centric view order. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 45(6):1134-41, 2001 Jun.
- Fain SB. King BF. Breen JF. Kruger DG. Riederer SJ. High-spatial-resolution contrast-enhanced MR angiography of the renal arteries: a prospective comparison with digital subtraction angiography. Radiology. 218(2):481-90, 2001 Feb.
- Huston J 3rd. Fain SB. Wald JT. Luetmer PH. Rydberg CH. Covarrubias DJ. Riederer SJ. Bernstein MA. Brown RD. Meyer FB. Bower TC. Schleck CD. Carotid artery: elliptic centric contrast-enhanced MR angiography compared with conventional angiography.[see comment]. Radiology. 218(1):138-43, 2001 Jan.
- Riederer SJ. Bernstein MA. Breen JF. Busse RF. Ehman RL. Fain SB. Hulshizer TC. Iii JH. King BF. Kruger DG. Rossman PJ. Shah S. Three-dimensional contrast-enhanced MR angiography with real-time fluoroscopic triggering: design specifications and technical reliability in 330 patient studies. Radiology. 215(2):584-93, 2000 May
- Riederer SJ. Fain SB. Kruger DG. Busse RF. Real-time imaging and triggering of 3D contrast-enhanced MR angiograms using MR fluoroscopy. Magma. 8(3):196-206, 1999 Aug.
- Riederer SJ. Fain SB. Kruger DG. Busse RF. 3D contrast-enhanced MR angiography using fluoroscopic triggering and an elliptical centric view order. International Journal of Cardiac Imaging. 15(2):117-29, 1999 Apr.
- Busse RF. Kruger DG. Debbins JP. Fain SB. Riederer SJ. A flexible view ordering technique for high-quality real-time 2DFT MR fluoroscopy. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 42(1):69-81, 1999 Jul.
- Busse RF. Debbins JP. Kruger DG. Fain SB. Riederer SJ. Interactive three-point localization of double-oblique sections using MR fluoroscopy. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 41(4):846-9, 1999 Apr.
- Huston J 3rd. Fain SB. Riederer SJ. Wilman AH. Bernstein MA. Busse RF. Carotid arteries: maximizing arterial to venous contrast in fluoroscopically triggered contrast-enhanced MR angiography with elliptic centric view ordering. Radiology. 211(1):265-73, 1999 Apr.
- Fain SB. Riederer SJ. Bernstein MA. Huston J 3rd. Theoretical limits of spatial resolution in elliptical-centric contrast-enhanced 3D-MRA. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 42(6):1106-16, 1999 Dec.