Sean B. Fain
Professor with tenure and Director of the Image Analysis Core Facility, MRI and CT Imaging
2488 WIMR II
B.S., Geology, University of California, Davis, CA
B.S., Physics, University of Minnesota – Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN
Ph.D., Biomedical Imaging and Biophysics, Mayo Graduate School, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- 1995-2000 – Research Assistant, Mayo Graduate School, Rochester, MN, Ph.D. Advisor: Stephen J. Riederer, Ph.D.
- 2000-2002 – Post-doctoral Fellow in the Laboratory of Charles A. Mistretta, Ph.D., UW-Madison, WI
- 2002-2007 – Assistant Professor of Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin-School of Medicine & Public Health, Madison, WI
- 2008-2013 – Associate Professor of Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin-School of Medicine & Public Health, Madison, WI
- 2014-Present – Professor with tenure of Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin-School of Medicine & Public Health, Madison, WI
Awards and Honors
- 1989 – Honorable Mention, National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship Award
- 1991 – Geological Sciences Department Fellowship, University of California – Santa Barbara
- 1994 – Undergraduate Research Opportunities Grant (UROP), University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- 1999 – Magna Cum Laude Citation for Exhibition Titled, “Carotid MRA: A Decade of Development,” 85th annual meeting of the RSNA
- 2001 – National Cancer Institute/UW Radiological Sciences Post-Doctoral Training Grant
- 2002 – International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) Student Travel Stipend
- 2004 – Sandler Program for Asthma Research, Junior Investigator Award
- 2005 – Image of the year ($10K), Concorde Systems User group, PET/MRI of inflammation and ventilation.
- 2006 – Herbert M. Stauffer Award for Best Science Paper of 2005 published in Academic Radiology
- 2007 – Hartwell Foundation Individual Biomedical Engineering Research Award
- U.S. Patent #6,459,264: issued October 1, 2002. Real-time embedded magnetic resonance fluoroscopy
- U.S. Patent #6,201,986: issued March 13, 2001. Synchronized k-space sampling in magnetic resonance angiography.
- U.S. Patent #6,198,960: issued March 6, 2001. Flip angle modulated magnetic resonance angiography.
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
- International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM)
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Society
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science