Timothy J Hall
Interim Chair, Department of Medical Physics
Director, Graduate Medical Physics Program
Vice Chair for Faculty
Program Director, UW Radiological Sciences Training Program
UW-Medical Physics, Ultrasound Imaging
Madison, WI 53705
- Director of the Quantitative Ultrasound Lab
- Director of the Custom Ultrasound Phantom Lab
- Co-Director, Ultrasound Scanning Resource (part of the WIMR Imaging Facility)
BA (Physics) University of Michigan-Flint
MS, Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin
PhD (Medical Physics) University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 1988 – 1989 Research Instructor, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
- 1989 – 1991 Instructor, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
- 1991 – 1995 Assistant Professor, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
- 1995 – 2000 Associate Professor, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
- 1999 – 2002 Director, Division of Image Science and Technology, Radiology Department, University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC), Kansas City, KS
- 1999 – 2002 (Associate) Professor, Department of Physiology, KUMC, Kansas City, KS
- 2000 – 2002 Professor, Department of Radiology, KUMC, Kansas City, KS
- 2003 – present Professor, Medical Physics Department, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- 2017 – present Vice Chair for the Faculty, Medical Physics Department
- Acoustic scattering
- Tissue elasticity
- Breast imaging
- Cervical assessment
- Ultrasound phantom development
Our work involves developing quantitative methods in medical ultrasound. Within that effort are developments of experimental methods for estimating specific parameters (such as the acoustic backscatter coefficient (to quantify acoustic scattering on an absolute scale), effective scatterer size (to describe the tissue microstructure), and the nonlinear elastic modulus (to describe the tissue stiffness on an absolute scale)). Also within that effort are developments of test objects with known material properties (phantoms) that can be used to evaluate performance of these quantitative techniques, and performance descriptors that provide metrics to compare performance. The effort also involves integration of these methods into clinical imaging systems and tests in animal models, clinical trials in human subjects, and observer performance studies to test efficacy.
Our work involves a close collaboration with Siemens Medical Solutions Ultrasound Division and Siemens Corporate Research. That collaboration gives us access to their clinical imaging systems at the same level as their research and development engineers.
We are funded by the NIH to investigate breast tissue properties with ultrasound. A parallel effort investigates uterine cervix assessment associated with pre-term birth and predicting successful post-date inductions.
- 1983 – A.B. in Physics Summa Cum Laude, University of Michigan-Flint
- 1983 – Maize and Blue Scholar, University of Michigan
- 1985 – National Research Service Awards, University of Wisconin/National Institutes of Health (1985-1988)
- 1991 – Bronze Medal, American Roentgen Ray Society
- 1995 – Best Paper of the Year, Ultrasound In Medicine and Biology
- 2002 – Cum Laude Award, Radiological Society of North America
- 2009 – Fellow, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- 1984 – Member, Acoustical Society of America
- 1988 – Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- 1994 – Member, American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
- 1995 – 1998 Ultrasound Committee Chair; Science Council Member; Liaison to RSNA, AAPM
- 2001 – Fellow, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- 2012 – Steering Committee Member; Chair of Ultrasound Coordinating Committee; Co-Chair of Shear Wave Speed Biomarker Committee, Radiological Society of North America’s (RSNA) Quantitative Imaging Biomarker Alliance (QIBA)
- Oberai AA, Gokhale NH, Goenezen S, Barbone PE, Hall TJ, Sommer AM, Jiang J. Linear and nonlinear elasticity imaging of soft tissue in vivo: demonstration of feasibility Physics Med Biol 54(5): 1191-1207, 2009.
- Jiang J, Varghese T, Brace CL, Madsen EL, Hall TJ, Bharat S, Hobson MA, Zagzebski JA and Lee FT. Young’s modulus reconstruction for radio-frequency ablation electrode-induced displacement fields: A feasibility study, IEEE Trans Med Imaging 28(8): 1325-1334, 2009.
- Jiang J and Hall TJ, A generalized speckle tracking algorithm for ultrasonic strain imaging using dynamic programming, Ultrasound Med Biol 35(11):1863-1879, 2009.
- Mitchell C, Hall TJ, Baker S, Burke M, Knauf L and Willey B, Can Hybrid Learning Theory Be Utilized To Teach Working Sonographers Breast Elastography? accepted for publication in Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography June 2009.
- Jiang J, Varghese T, Chen Q, Hall TJ and Zagzebski JA. Finite element analysis of tissue deformation with a radiofrequency ablation electrode for strain imaging, accepted for publication in (UFFC) August 2009.
- King MR, Anderson JJ, Herd MT, Ma D, Haak A, Madsen EL, Wirtzfeld L, Zagzebski JA, Oelze ML, Hall TJ and O’Brien WD Jr., Ultrasonic backscatter coefficient estimates from agar spheres in agar phantoms, J Acoust Soc Am 128(2): 903-908, 2010.
- Jiang J, Brace C, Andreano A DeWall RJ, Rubert N, Fisher TG, Varghese T and Hall TJ. Ultrasound- based relative elastic modulus imaging for visualizing thermal ablation zones in a porcine model. Phys med Biol 55(8):2281-306, 2010.
- Fisher TG, Hall TJ, Panda S, Richards MS, Barbone PE, Jiang J, Resnick J, Barnes S. Volumetric Elasticity Imaging with a 2-D CMUT Array, Ultrasound Med Biol 36(6):978-90, 2010.
- Pavan TZ, Madsen EL, Frank GR, Carneiro AAO, and Hall TJ. Nonlinear elastic behavior of phantom materials for elastography, Phys Med Biol, 7;55(9):2679-92, 2010.
- Anderson JJ, Herd MT, King MR, Haak A, Hafez ZT, Song J, Oelze ML, Madsen EL, Zagzebski JA,
- O’Brien WD Jr. and Hall TJ, Interlaboratory comparison of backscatter coefficient estimates for tissue-mimicking phantoms, Ultrasonic Imaging 32:159-171, 2010.
- Feltovich H, Nam K and Hall TJ. Quantitative ultrasound assessment of cervical microstructure, Ultrasonic Imaging 32:33-47, 2010.
- Wirtzfeld LA,Ghoshal G, Hafez ZT, Nam K, Labyed Y, Anderson JJ, Herd MT, Haak A, Miller RJ, Sarwate S, Zagzebski JA, Bigelow TA, Hall TJ, Oelze ML and O’Brien WD Jr. Cross- imaging platform comparison of ultrasonic backscatter coefficient measurements of live rat fibroadenomas J Ultrasound Med 29(7):1117-2, 2010.
- Xu H, Rao M, Varghese T, Sommer A, Baker S, Hall TJ, Sisney GA, Burnside ES. Axial-shear strain imaging for differentiating benign and malignant breast masses. Ultrasound Med Biol 6(11):1813-24, 2010.
- Dapore AJ, King MR, Harter J, Sarwate1 S, Oelze ML, Zagzebski JA, Do MN, Hall TJ, O’Brien WD, Jr. Analysis of human fibroadenomas using three-dimensional impedance maps. IEEE Trans Med Imaging 30(6): 1206-1213, 2011.
- Herd MT, Hall TJ, Jiang J and Zagzebski JA. Improving the statistics of quantitative ultrasound techniques with deformation compounding accepted for publication in Ultrasound Med Biol February 2010.
- Jiang j and Hall TJ. A fast hybrid algorithm combining regularized motion tracking and predictive search for reducing the occurrence of large displacement errors IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelec Freq Contr 58(4):730-736, 2011.
- Hall TJ, Barbone P, Oberai AA, Jiang J, Dord JF, Goenezen S, Fisher TG. Recent results in nonlinear strain and modulus imaging. accepted for publication in Current Medical Imaging Reviews.
- Sarvazyan A, Hall TJ, Urban MW, Fatemi M, Aglyamov SR, Garra BS. An overview of elastography – An emerging branch of medical imaging. accepted for publication in Current Medical Imaging Reviews.
- Nam K, Zagzebski JA and Hall TJ. Simultaneous backscatter and attenuation estimation using a least squares method with constraints. accepted for publication in Ultrasound Med Biol.
- US Patent # 6,277,074 B1 issued 2001.08.21, Method and apparatus for motion estimation within biological tissue
- US Patent # 6,508,768 B1 issued 2003.01.21, Ultrasonic elasticity imaging
- US Patent # 7,632,231 B2 issued 2009.12.15, Ultrasonic strain imaging device and method providing parallel displacement processing
- US Patent # 8,417,475 B2 issued 2013.04.09 Elasticity imaging device with improved characterization of seed displacement calculations
- US Patent # 8,727,986 B2 issued 2014.05.20, Method and apparatus for assessing risk of preterm delivery
- US Patent # 8,920,323 B2 issued 2014.12.30, Coupled Axial and Lateral Displacement Estimation for Elasticity Imaging
- US Patent # 9,060,709 B2 issued 2015.06.23, Method and apparatus for quantifying organization in collagenous tissue
- US Patent # 9,078,592 B2 issued 2015.07.14, Ultrasonic strain imaging device with selectable cost-function
- US Patent # 9389203B2 issued 2016.07.12, Automated ultrasonic elasticity image formation with quality measure