Michael A. Speidel
Associate Professor, Medical Physics Technical Director, UWHC Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory
Vice Chair of the Faculty
L1177 Wisconsin Institutes for Medical Research
B.A. Physics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
M.S. Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
Ph.D. Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- Assistant Professor, Departments of Medical Physics and Medicine
- Technical Director, Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, UW Hospital and Clinics
- X-ray fluoroscopy and angiography
- Device guidance during cardiac interventions
- Dose reduction
- Scanning-beam digital x-ray (SBDX) technology
- Burion S, Speidel MA, Funk T. A real-time regional adaptive exposure method for saving dose-area product in x-ray fluoroscopy. Medical Physics 2013 (in press).
- Speidel MA, Bateman CL, Tao Y, Raval AN, Hacker TA, Reeder SB, Van Lysel MS. Reduction of image noise in low tube current dynamic CT myocardial perfusion imaging using HYPR processing: A time-attenuation curve analysis. Medical Physics 40: 011904, 2013.
- Theriault-Lauzier P, Tang J, Speidel MA, Chen G-H. Noise spatiotemporal non-uniformity and the impact of statistical image reconstruction in CT myocardial perfusion imaging. Medical Physics 39: 4079-4092, 2012.
- Speidel MA, Wilfley BP, Hsu A, Hristov D. Feasibility of low-dose single-view 3D fiducial tracking concurrent with external beam delivery. Medical Physics 39: 2163-2169, 2012.
- Klein AJ, Tomkowiak MT, Vigen KK, Hacker TA, Speidel MA, Vanlysel MS, Shah N,Raval AN. Multimodality image fusion to guide peripheral artery chronic total arterial occlusion recanalization in a swine carotid artery occlusion model: unblinding the interventionalist. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 80(7): 1090-1098, 2012.
- Tomkowiak MT, Speidel MA, Raval AN, Van Lysel MS. Calibration-free device sizing using an inverse geometry x-ray system. Medical Physics 38:283-293, 2011.
- Tomkowiak MT, Klein AJ, Vigen KK, Hacker TA, Speidel MA, VanLysel MS, Raval AN. Targeted transendocardial therapeutic delivery guided by MRI-X-ray image fusion. Cathet Cardiovasc Interv. 78: 468-478, 2011.
- Speidel MA. Inverse geometry x-ray imaging: application in interventional procedures. J. Am. Coll. Radiol. 8:74-77, 2011.
- McCabe BP, Speidel MA, Pike TL, Van Lysel MS. Calibration of GafChromic XR-RV3 radiochromic film for skin dose measurement using standardized x-ray spectra and a commercial flatbed scanner. Medical Physics 38: 1919-1930, 2011.
- Speidel MA, Tomkowiak MT, Raval AN, Van Lysel MS. Three-dimensional tracking of cardiac catheters using an inverse geometry x-ray fluoroscopy system. Medical Physics 37:6377-6389, 2010.
- Nett BE, Leng S, Reeder SB, Speidel MA, Chen G-H. Temporally-targeted imaging method applied to ECG gated computed tomography: preliminary in vivo experience. Acad. Radiol. 15:93-106, 2008.
- Speidel MA, Wilfley BP, Star-Lack JM, Heanue JA, Van Lysel MS. Scanning-beam digital x-ray (SBDX) technology for interventional and diagnostic cardiac angiography. Medical Physics 33:2714-2727, 2006.
- Speidel MA, Wilfley BP, Star-Lack JM, Heanue JA, Betts TD, Van Lysel MS. Comparison of entrance exposure and signal-to-noise ratio between an SBDX prototype and a wide-beam cardiac angiographic system. Medical Physics 33:2728-2743, 2006
- Cao H, Speidel MA, Tsai JZ, Van Lysel MS, Vorperian VR, Webster JG. FEM analysis of predicting electrode-myocardium contact from RF cardiac catheter ablation system impedance. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 49:520-526, 2002.
- Speidel MA, Wilfley BP, Heanue JA, Betts TD, Van Lysel MS. Comparison of vessel contrast measured with a scanning-beam digital x-ray system and an image intensifier/television system. Medical Physics 28:232-240, 2001.
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine