Vice Chair for Research
1111 Highland Avenue, Suite 1127
Wisconsin Institutes for Medical Research
UW-Medical Physics and Radiology
Madison, WI 53705-2275
B.S., Electrical Engineering, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Germany
Dipl.-Ing., Electrical Engineering, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (Universität Karlsruhe, TH), Germany
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 2002 – 2005: Assistant Scientist, Dept. of Diagnostic Radiology – Medical Physics, Universität Freiburg, Germany.
- 2005 – 2007: Assistant Scientist, Depts. of Medical Physics and Radiology, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- 2007 – 2008: Associate Scientist, Depts. of Medical Physics and Radiology, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- 2008 – 2013: Assistant Professor, Depts. of Medical Physics and Radiology, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- 2013 – present: Associate Professor, Depts. of Medical Physics and Radiology, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- 2013 – present: Co-Director of the International Center for Accelerated Medical Imaging, UW-Madison
- 2016-present: Vice-Chair of Research, Dept. of Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 2019 – now: Professor, Depts. of Medical Physics and Radiology, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Selected Extramural Positions
- 2008 – 2010: Elected Chair of ISMRM Study Group MR Flow and Motion Quantitation
- 2009: Chairman Organization Committee for ISMRM sponsored Workshop Cardiovascular Flow, Function and Tissue Mechanics, Sintra, Portugal
- 2010: Chairman of the Organization and Scientific Committee of the 2nd ISMRM endorsed Workshop ‘Rapid MR Imaging – Beyond the Nyquist Limit’, Madison, WI
- 2010 – 2017: Member of Scientific Expert Working Group ‘CCSVI and MS’ – Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) in collaboration with the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Society of Canad
- 2013 – 2019: Co-Director of the International Center for Accelerated Medical Imaging, UW-Madison
- 2015 – present: Chair of Radiology & Imaging Basic Science Peer Review Committee – American Heart Association
- 2017 – 2019: Inaugural Chair of ISMRM Study Group Placenta & Fetu
- 2018 – present: Society for Magnetic Resonance Angiography (SMRA) Board Advisory Committee, Member
- Cardiovascular MRI and MR Angiography: methodolgy development and translational research in data acquisition, image reconstruction, and post-processing
- Velocity-sensitive MRI: 2D and 4D Flow MRI to facilitate non-invasive hemodynamic assessment of the vascular system and CSF flow
- Rapid MRI: sequence design, reconstruction algorithms, and realtime imaging
- Motion detection and correction schemes for the measurement of the compensation of physiological and involuntary motion in MR imaging
- Motion detection and correction schemes for the measurement of or the compensation of physiological and involuntary motion in MR imaging
- More details on my research group can be found on the Cardiovascular MRI group page.
Awards and Honors
- 1995 – Baden- Württemberg Exchange Program Scholar: Scholarship at the University of Wisconsin-Madison organized by the Akademisches Auslandsamt Karlsruhe and the Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DADD)
- 2002 – Research Fellowship (Rückkehrerstelle), University Hospital Freiburg
- 2009 Juhl-Cameron Award for Excellence in Research and Interdisciplinary Collaboration in Imaging from the Depts. of Radiology and Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison – Joint award for Drs. Thorsten Bley and Oliver Wieben
- 2009 Lauterbur Award for the Best MRI Presentation – T. A. Bley, K. M. Johnson, C. J. François, S. B. Reeder, M. L. Schiebler, T. M. Grist, O. Wieben, “Non-invasive Assessment of Trans-stenotic Pressure Gradients Utilizing 3D Phase Contrast MRA: Validation against Endovascular Pressure Measurements in a Porcine Study”, Society of Computed Body Tomography and Magnetic Resonance (SCBT-MR) 2009 Scientific Session, Miami Beach, FL – presented by T. A. Bley (O. Wieben senior author)
- 2014 ISMRM Annual Meeting 2014, Milan, Italy: Outstanding Teacher Award – for the talk entitled ‘Comprehensive vascular MRI: Technical’
- 2014 ISMRM Annual Meeting 2014, Milan, Italy: Outstanding Teacher Award – for the talk entitled ‘4D flow imaging’
- 2018 Fellow of the Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR)
- Highly constrained magnetic resonance spectroscopy image reconstruction method, Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, U.S. Patent No. 7,408,347, WO 2007/038203, EP1927008, CN 200680034794
- Reconstruction of images of the beating heart using a highly constrained backprojection, Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, US Patent No: 7,647,088, WO 2007/037937, EP1927009
- Highly constrained reconstruction of motion encoded MR images, Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, US Patent No: 7,711,166, WO 2007/037951, EP1927010, CN 200680035048
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE): Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS)
- The International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM)
- The Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR)
- American Heart Association