Charles A. Mistretta, Ph.D.
Biomedical Engineering Center for Translational Research
Ph.D., Harvard University
- Investigations of non-invasive techniques for magnetic resonance imaging of the cardiovascular system
- Quantitation of flow
- Coronary artery imaging and flow measurement
- MR Myocradial Perfusion
Our research in medical imaging began in 1971 with studies of dual energy X-ray imaging using analog storage tube devices. This led to the development of a real-time digital image processor which was the enabling device for what eventually became Digital Subtraction Angiography. Initial enthusiasm for this technique was based on the hope that angiography could be done with intravenous injections. However, problems with artery/vein overlap led the medical community to use intra-arterial DSA. This did permit the use of smaller contrast doses and smaller catheters and resulted in a substantial reduction in angiographic complications as well as providing a tool for the development of interventional radiology. The DSA technique has been distributed worldwide and is still the gold standard against which the image quality of new angiographic techniques is measured. Patent royalties from DSA presently rank second among all inventions in University of Wisconsin history.
In 1988 our research turned to magnetic resonance angiography. Our most notable contributions in that area have been the development of 3D TRICKS (Time Resolved Imaging of Contrast KineticS) which is currently the preferred commercial method for time-resolved MRA, undersampled 3D radial acquisition ,VIPR, (Vastly undersampled Isotropic PRojection imaging) that permits data acquisition accelerations of several hundred relative to conventional Cartesian acquisition, HYPR (HighlY constrained reconstruction from PRojections) that provides further undersampling factors and substantial increases in signal to noise ratio, Phase Contrast VIPR that permits high resolution flow measurements and determination of trans-stenotic pressure gradients, and HYBRID MRA that provides acceleration factors up to 1000 relative to conventional MRA.
The principles learned in the course of implementing the above MRA techniques have now been extended to provide a method for a 4D implementation of DSA and interventional fluoroscopy. This method provides time resolved rotational DSA images at time-resolved frame rates of up to 30 per second instead of the usual time-independent rotational DSA image volume obtained in times of 5-20 seconds. The technique also permits real time catheter tracking with viewing at arbitrary angles without ongoing gantry rotation.
4D-DSA removes the problem of overlying veins and image quality appears to be sufficient to warrant a re-examination of intra-venous DSA as a diagnostic modality.
1962 - Tau Beta Pi, Phi Kappa Phi, Graduated with Highest Honors University of Illinois, Champaign, Urbana
1972-74 - First physicist to become James Picker Advanced Fellow in Academic Radiology
1983 - Laufman-Greatbatch Prize, Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation, in recognition for development of Digital Subtraction Angiography (DSA)
1998 - J. Allyn Taylor International Prize in Medicine, sponsored by the Robarts Research Institute and the University of Western Ontario, for distinguished lifetime achievement and outstanding contributions to the advances in the use of medical imaging in diagnosing and treating human diseases.
1999 - Elected Fellow of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine.
2003 - Elected Fellow of American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering.
2005 - pecial Physics Award for Outstanding Service to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Presented by the UW Department of Physics.
2006 - Elected Fellow of the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine.
2010 - MIT Technology Achievement Award - Sponsored by MIT Club of Wisconsin
2010 - RSNA Outstanding Researcher for 2010
2012 - Edith H. Quimby Lifetime Achievement Award - American Association of Physicists in Medicine.
2012 - University of Wisconsin Hilldale Award in Biosciences
2012 - Marie Curie Skłodowska Award - International Organization for Medical Physics "for outstanding contributions to medical physics research and remarkable merits on medical physics education"
2013 - Designated as "one of the 50 medical physicists with the most impact on the field in the last 50 years" by the International Congress of Medical Physics
2014 - Elected to the National Academy of Engineering.
American Association of Physicists in Medicine
American Physical Society
Health Physics Society
International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements
National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements
The patents listed usually have corresponding foreign patents that are not separately listed here.
Mistretta CA, Kelcz F: Compensation for patient thickness variations in differential x-ray transmission imaging. US Patent No. 3,854,049, 1974.
Mistretta CA, Ort MG: Differential enhancement of periodically variable images. US Patent No. 3,894,181,1975.
Mistretta CA, Kelcz F: Differential x-ray method and apparatus. US Patent No. 3,974,386, 1976.
Mistretta CA: Real-time digital x-ray subtraction imaging. US Patent No. 4,204,225, 1980.
Mistretta CA, Kruger RA, Houk TL: Real-time x-ray time interval difference imaging. US Patent No. 4,204,226, 1980.
Mistretta CA, Peppler WW, Kudva BV, Hasegawa BH, Dobbins JT III: Digitally controlled x-ray beam attenuation method and apparatus. US Patent No. 4497062, 1985.
Mistretta CA, Korosec FR: ECG-optimized line-scanned phase contrast MR Angiography. US Patent No. 5, 031, 624 July 1991.
Mistretta CA, Korosec FR, Weber DM: Adaptive ray tracing for MR angiography. US Patent No. 5,204,627, April 1993.
Mistretta CA, Korosec FR, Weber DW, Grist TM: NMR angiography using fast pulse sequences with Preparatory Pulses. US Patent 5,285,158, 1994.
Mistretta CA, Polzin JA, Alley MT: Measurement of Flow Using A Complex Difference Method Of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, US Patent 5,408,180, April 18, 1995.
Mistretta CA: Catheter holding apparatus, US Patent 5,405,110, April 1995.
- CA Mistretta, F Korosec, R Frayne, T Grist, and J. Polzin Method for Producing A Time-Resolved Series of 3D Magnetic Resonance Angiograms During the First Passage of Contrast Agent, US Patent 5,713,358, Feb. 3, 1998.
CA Mistretta, F Korosec, R Frayne and T Grist, Digital Subtraction Magnetic Resonance Angiography with Artifact Suppression, US Patent 5,881,728, March 16, 1999.
- CA Mistretta, F Korosec, R Frayne and T Grist, Gated 3D Digital Subtraction Magnetic Resonance Angiography, US Patent 5,830,142, Nov.3, 1998.
CA Mistretta, F Korosec, T Grist, and R Frayne. Three Dimensional digital Subtraction Magnetic Resonance Angiography With Limited K-Space Mask, US Patent 5,873,825, Feb. 23. 1999.
TJ Carroll and CA Mistretta, Contrast-guided Reconstruction in 3D Contrast-Enhanced MRA, US Patent 6,195,579, Feb. 27, 2001.
K Vigen, CA Mistretta, F R Korosec, R Frayne, and TM Grist, Time Resolved Digital Subtraction Magnetic Resonance Angiography Using Echo-Planar Imaging, US Patent No. 6,044,290, March 28, 2000.
A. Barger and C. Mistretta, Phase Contrast Imaging using Interleaved Projections, US Patent 6,188,922 Feb 13, 2001.
CA Mistretta, TM Grist, TJ Carroll, and Y Mazaheri- Magnetic Resonance. Angiography with Vessel Segmentation, April 30, 2002, US Patent 6,381,486.
C. Mistretta, A. Barger, and W. Block, Magnetic Resonance Imaging using Undersampled 3D Projection imaging, US Patent 6,487,435, Nov 26, 2002.
CA Mistretta, TM Grist, Y Mazaheri, J Du, TJ Carroll and WF Block, Dual resolution Acquisition of Magnetic Resonance Angiography Data with Vessel Segmentation, US Patent No. 6,556,856, April 29, 2003.
CA Mistretta Floating Table 3D Isotropic Projection Imaging. US Patent No. 6,671,536, Dec. 30, 2003.
- CA Mistretta and D. Peters, Rapid Acquisition Magnetic Resonance Imaging Using Radial Projections, US Patent 6,630,828 B1, Oct.7, 2003.
CA Mistretta, Three Dimensional Phase Contrast imaging Using Interleaved Projection Data. US Patent 6,954,067, Oct. 11, 2005
Time Resolved Computed Tomography Angiography, US Patent 6,983,182, Jan. 3, 2006.
CA Mistretta, K Johnson and T Gu,Magnetic Resonance Imaging With Dual Velocity Encoded Projection Reconstruction Acquisition, US Patent 7,049,816, May 23,/2006.
CA Mistretta and TR Mackie, Virtual Spherical Anode Computed Tomography, US Patent 7,333,588, Dec.3, 2004
GH Chen and CA Mistretta A Fourier Space Formulation of Tomographic Image Reconstruction, US Patent 7,209,535.
CA Mistretta, HA Rowley, M. Van Lysel, and GH Chen, X-ray system for use in Image Guided Procedures, Us Patent No. 7,218,702, May 15, 2007.
CA Mistretta, AL Alexander, Diffusion Tensor Imaging Using Highly Constrained Image Reconstruction , US Patent 7358730, April 15, 2008
CA Mistretta, Highly Constrained Reconstruction Method. Us Patent No. 7,519,412, April 14, 2009.
CA Mistretta, Backprojection Reconstruction Method for CT Imaging. US Patent No. 7545901, July 7,2006
- CA Mistretta, SB Reeder, J Perry, O Wieben, Highly Constrained Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Image Reconstruction Method. US Patent 7408347, Sept. 21, 200 Pending Patents
CA Mistretta, J V. Velikina, K M. Johnson, Localized and Highly Constrained Image Reconstruction.
CA Mistretta, KM Johnson, JV Velikina, TM Grist, Contrast Enhanced MRA with Highly constrained Backprojection using A Phase Contrast Composite Image.
CA Mistretta, OWieben, JV Velikina, KM Johnson, A Method for Reducing Motion Artifacts In Highly Constrained Medical Imaging.
CA Mistretta, JV Velikina, O Wieben, Reconstruction Method for Images of the Beating Heart.
CA Mistretta, O Wieben, KM Johnson, JV Velikina, Highly Constrained Reconstruction of Velocity Encoded MR Images.
CA Mistretta,Walter Block, Title: Image Acquisition and Reconstruction Method for Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
CA Mistretta, Image Reconstruction Method for Cardiac Gated Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
CA Mistretta, Backprojection Reconstruction Method for Undersampled MR.
CA Mistretta, J Mertes-Mistretta, E. Oberstar and E. Brodsky, Vision System and Method For Motion Adaptive Integration of image Frames
CA Mistretta and J Zagzebski , Method For Producing Highly Constrained Ultrasound Images.
CA Mistretta and CM Strother, System and Method For Four Dimensional Angiography and Fluoroscopy
CA Mistretta and CM Strother, Method and Apparatus for Filtration Reduced Equalized Exposure Computed Tomography.
- CA Mistretta and CM Strother, System and Method of 4D Time-Energy Subtraction Computed Tomography.
- Goitein M, et al: Measurements of elastic electron-proton scattering at high momentum transfer by coincidence technique. Physical Review Letters 18:1016, 1967.
- Budnitz R, et al: Quasielastic electron-deuteron scattering at forward angles. Physical Review Letters 19:809, 1967.
- Mistretta CA, et al: Differential cross-sections for neutral-pion electroproduction near the first pion-nucleon resonance. Physical Review Letters 20:1070, 1968 (Thesis data).
- Imrie D, Mistretta CA, Wilson R: Phenomenological analysis of neutral-pion electroproduction and the NN form factor. Physical Review Letters 20:1074, 1968 (Thesis data).
- Mistretta CA, et al: Angular distribution for *+ electroproduction and the pion form factor. Physical Review Letters 20:1523, 1968 (Thesis data).
- Budnitz R, et al: Neutron form factors and quasielastic electron-deuteron scattering. Physical Reviews 173:1357, 1968.
- Alberi J, et al: Search for the electroproduction of the N* (1470) resonance from deuterium. Physical Review 176:1631, 1968.
- Mistretta CA, et al: Coincidence measurements of single-pion electro-production near the (1236) resonance. Physical Review 184:1487, 1969 (Thesis data).
- Goitein M, et al: Measurements of elastic electron-proton scattering cross-sections by a coincidence technique. Physical Review D-1, 2449, 1970.
- Lynch J, et al: Physics Letters 35B, 5:457, 1971.
- Mistretta CA, Ort MG, Cameron JR, Moran PR: The silicon storage tube - A new method of image storage in fluoroscopy. Investigative Radiology 7:174-176, 1972.
- Mistretta CA, Ort MG, Cameron JR, Crummy AB, Moran PR: Multiple image subtraction technique for enhancing low contrast periodic objects. Investigative Radiology 8:43-49, 1973.
- Crummy AB, Mistretta CA, Cline R, Terry W, Ort MG, Kelcz F, Cameron JR: An inexpensive storage system for selective catheterization procedures. Radiology 110:369-372.
- Crummy AB, Mistretta CA, Ort MG, Kelcz F, Cameron JR, Siedband MP: Absorption edge fluoroscopy using quasi-monoenergetic x-ray beams. Investigative Radiology 8:402 412, 1973.
- Ort MG, Mistretta CA, Kelcz F: An improved technique for enhancing small periodic contrast changes in television fluoroscopy. Optical Engineering 12(4):169, 1973.
- Mistretta CA: The use of a general description of the radiological transmission image for categorizing imaging enhancement procedures. Optical Engineering 13(2):134, 1974.
- Kelcz F, Mistretta CA: Absorption edge fluoroscopy using a 3-spectrum technique. Medical Physics 3(3):159-168, 1977.
- Kelcz F, Mistretta CA, Riederer SJ: Spectral considerations for absorption edge fluoroscopy. Medical Physics 4(1):26-35, 1977.
- Kruger RA, Riederer SJ, Mistretta CA: Relative properties of tomography, k-edge imaging and k-edge tomography. Medical Physics 4(3):244-249, 1977.
- Riederer SJ, Mistretta CA: Selective iodine imaging using k-edge energies in computerized x-ray tomography. Medical Physics 4(6):474-481, 1977.
- Kruger RA, Mistretta CA, Crummy AB, Sackett JF, Goodsit MM, Riederer SJ, Houk TL, Shaw CG, Flemming D: Digital k-edge subtraction radiography. Radiology 125:234 235, 1977.
- Mistretta CA, Kruger RA, Houk TL, Riederer SJ, Shaw CG, Ergun DL, Kubal W, Crummy AB, Zwiebel W, Rowe G, Zarnstorff W, Flemming D: Computerized fluoroscopy techniques for noninvasive cardiovascular imaging. SPIE, Appl Opt Instr Med, 152:65 71, 1978.
- Kruger RA, Mistretta CA, Lancaster J, Houk TL, Goodsitt MM, Riederer SJ, Hicks J, Sackett JF, Crummy AB, Flemming D: A digital video image processor for real-time subtraction imaging. Optical Engineering 17(6):652-657, 1978.
- Kruger RA, Mistretta CA, Riederer SJ, Ergun DL, Shaw CG, Rowe GG: Computerized fluoroscopy techniques for noninvasive imaging of the cardiovascular system. Radiology 130(1): 49-57, 1979.
- Houk TL, Kruger RA, Mistretta CA, Riederer SJ, Shaw CG, Lancaster JC: Real-time digital k-edge subtraction fluoroscopy. Investigative Radiology 14(4):270-278, 1979.
- Kruger RA, Mistretta CA, Houk TL, Kubal W, Riederer SJ, Ergun D, Shaw CG, Lancaster JC, Rowe GG: Computerized fluoroscopy techniques for noninvasive study of cardiac dynamics. Investigative Radiology l4(4):279-287, 1979.
- Kruger RA, Mistretta CA, Houk TL, Riederer SJ, Shaw CG, Goodsitt MM, Crummy AB, Zwiebel W, Lancaster JC, Rowe GG, Flemming D: Computerized fluoroscopy in real-time for noninvasive visualization of the cardiovascular system: Preliminary studies. Radiology 130(1):49-57, 1979.
- Ergun D, Mistretta CA, Kruger RA, Riederer SJ, Shaw CG, Carbone D: A hybrid computerized fluoroscopy technique for noninvasive cardiovascular imaging. Radiology 132(3)739-742, 1979.
- Shaw CG, Ergun DL, Kruger RA, Mistretta CA, Crummy AB, Myerowitz D, Strother CM, Sackett JF, Van Lysel M, Zarnstorff W, Turnipseed W: Intravenous angiography using computerized fluoroscopy. IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, 27(3):1942-1945, 1980.
- Strother CM, Sackett JF, Crummy AB, Lilleas FG, Zwiebel W, Turnipseed W, Javid M, Mistretta CA, Kruger RA, Ergun DL, Shaw CG: Clinical applications of computerized fluoroscopy: the extracranial carotid artery. Radiology 136(3):781-783, 1980.
- Crummy AB, Strother CM, Sackett JF, Ergun DL, Shaw CG, Kruger RA, Mistretta CA, Turnipseed WD, Lieberman RP, Myerowitz PD, Ruzicka FF: Computerized fluoroscopy: a digital subtraction technique for intravenous angiocardiography and arteriography. AJR 135:1131-1140, 1980.
- Riederer SJ, Kruger RA, Mistretta CA: Three beam k-edge imaging of iodine using differences between video fluoroscopic images: theoretical considerations. Medical Physics 8(4);471-479, 1981.
- Riederer SJ, Kruger RA, Mistretta CA, Ergun DL, Shaw CG: Three beam k-edge imaging of iodine using differences between video fluoroscopic images: Experimental results. Medical Physics 8(4):480-487, 1981.
- Riederer SJ, Kruger RA, Mistretta CA: Limitations to iodine isolation using a dual beam non-k-edge approach. Medical Physics 8(1):54-61, 1981.
- Kruger RA, Mistretta CA, Riederer SJ: Physical and technical considerations of computerized fluoroscopy difference imaging. IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science 28(1):202-212, 1981.
- Mistretta CA, Crummy AB, Strother CM: Digital angiography: A perspective. Radiology 139(2):273-276, 1981.
- Turnipseed WD, Crummy AB, Strother CM, Sackett JF, Ergun DL, Shaw CG, Kruger RA, Mistretta CA, Lieberman RP, Belzer FO: Computerized intravenous arteriography: a technique for visualizing the peripheral vascular system. Surgery 89(1):118-122, 1981.
- Turnipseed WD, Sackett JF, Strother CM, Crummy AB, Mistretta CA, Kruger RA: Computerized arteriography of the cerebrovascular system. Arch Surg 114:470-473, 1981.
- Strother CM, Sackett JF, Crummy AB, Mistretta CA, Ergun DL, Shaw CG, Kruger RA, Duff TA, Ramirez LF, Turnipseed WD: Intravenous videoarteriography of the intracranial vasculature: Early experience. AJNR 2:215-218, 1981.
- Lilleas F, Strother CM, Sackett JF, Crummy AB, Orrison WW, Mistretta CA: Computerized fluoroscopy til bruk ved intravenos arteriographi av arteria carotis. Norsk Forening Medisinsk Radiologi, 1981.
- Orrison WW, Lilleas F, Crummy AB, Sackett JF, Strother CM, Mistretta CA: Further applications of computerized fluoroscopy. Norsk Forening for Medisinsk Radiologi, 1981.
- Van Lysel MS, Zarnstorff WC, Lancaster JC, Mistretta CA, Dobbins JT III: A real-time digital video recording system. SPIE, Appl Opt Instr in Medicine IX 314:389, 1981.
- Crummy AB, Strother CM, Lieberman RP, Stieghorst MF, Sackett JF, Wojtowycz WW, Kruger RA, Turnipseed WD, Ergun DL, Shaw CG, Mistretta CA, Ruzicka FF: Digital video subtraction angiography for evaluation of peripheral vascular disease. Radiology 141(1):33-37, 1981.
- Mistretta CA, Crummy AB: Diagnosis of cardiovascular disease by digital subtraction angiography. Science 214:761-765, 1981.
- Shaw CG, Ergun DL, Myerowitz PD, Van Lysel MS, Mistretta CA, Zarnstorff WC, Crummy AB: A technique of scatter and glare correction for videodensitometric studies in digital subtraction videoangiography. Radiology 142:205-213, 1982.
- Stieghorst MF, Strother CM, Mistretta CA, Crummy AB, Sackett JF, Lieberman RP, Turski PA: Digital subtraction angiography: a clinical overview. Applied Radiology 10:43-50, 1981, and Vascular Diagnosis and Therapy 3:33-38, 1982. 47. Myerowitz PD, Turnipseed WD, Shaw CG, Mistretta CA, Swanson DK, Chopra PS, Berkoff HA, Kroncke GM, Dhanani SP, Rowe GC, Van Lysel MS, Crummy AB: Computerized fluoroscopy. J Thorac Cardiovascular Surgery 83(1):65-73, 1982.
- Turnipseed WD, Sackett JF, Strother CM, Crummy AB, Mistretta CA: A comparison of standard cerebral arteriography with noninvasive Doppler imaging and intravenous angiography. Arch Surg 117:419-421, 1982.
- Crummy AB, Stieghorst MF, Turski PA, Strother CM, Lieberman RP, Sackett JF, Turnipseed WD, Detmer DE, Mistretta CA: Digital subtraction arteriography with intra arterial contrast agent (IA-DSA). Radiology 145(2):303-307, 1982.
- Myerowitz PD, Turnipseed WD, Swanson DK, Mistretta CA et al: Digital subtraction angiography as a method of screening for coronary artery disease during peripheral vascular angiography. Surgery 92:1042-1048, 1982.
- Acher CW, Turnipseed WD, Sackett JF, Strother CM, Crummy AB, Mistretta C: Digital subtraction angiography and continuous-wave Doppler studies: Their use in postoperative study of patients with carotid endarterectomy. Archives of Surgery 118(4):246-464, 1983.
- Celesia GG, STrother CM, Turski PA, Steighorst MF, Sackett FJ, Mistretta CA: Digital subtraction arteriography. A mew method for evaluation of extracranial occlusive disease. Archives of Neurology 40(2):70-74, 1983.
- Swanson DK, Myerowitz PD, Van Lysel MS, Peppler WW, Dhanani SP, Hasegawa BH, Mistretta CA: A correction for tissue iodine accumulation for videodensitometric measurements of left ventricular ejection fraction. Radiology 147(2):37-43, 1983.
- Van Lysel MS, Dobbins JT III, Peppler WW, Hasegawa BH, Lee CS, Mistretta CA, Zarnstorff WC, Crummy AB, Kubal W, Bergsjordet B, Strother CM, Sackett JF: Work in progress: Hybrid temporal-energy subtraction in digital fluoroscopy. Radiology 147(3):869-874, 1983.
- Mistretta CA, Peppler WW, Dobbins JT III, Hasegawa BH, Myerowitz PD, Swanson DK, Lee CS, Naimuddin S et al: Recent advances in digital radiography. Annales de Radiologie 26(7):537-542, 1983.
- Mistretta CA, Van Lysel MS, Peppler WW et al: Applicazioni attuali e aspetti technici della angiografia digitale. Radiologica Medica 70:177-184, 1984.
- Hasegawa BH, Naimuddin S, Dobbins JT III, Mistretta CA, Peppler WW, Hangiandreou NJ, Cusma JT, McDermott JC: Chest radiography using patient-specific digitally prepared compensating filters. SPSE, Society of Photographic Scientists and Engineers 355:262-265, 1985.
- Hasegawa BH, Naimuddin S, Dobbins JT III, Mistretta CA, Peppler WW, Hangiandreou NJ, Cusma JT, McDermott J, Kudva B, Melbye K: Digital beam attenuator technique for compensated chest radiography. Radiology 159:537-543, 1986.
- Mistretta CA: Basic concepts of digital angiography. Progr Cardiov Dis. 28(4):245 255, 1986.
- Van Lysel MS, Ergun DL, Miller WP, Toggart EJ, Cusma JT, Peppler WW, Molloi SY, Mistretta CA: Cardiac digital angiography and dual-energy subtraction imaging: Current and future trends. Amer J Cardiac Imaging, 1:254-256, 1987. 61. Hasegawa BH, Dobbins JT III, S Naimuddin, Peppler WW, Mistretta CA: Geometrical properties of a digital beam attenuator system. Medical Physics 14(3):314-321, 1987.
- S Naimuddin, Hasegawa BH, Mistretta CA: Scatter-glare correction using a convolution algorithm with variable weighting. Medical Physics 14(3):330-334, 1987.
- Cusma JT, Toggart EJ, Folts JD, Peppler WW, Hangiandreou NJ, Lee CS, Mistretta CA: DSA imaging of coronary flow reserve. Circulation 75(2):461-472, 1987.
- Molloi SY, Mistretta CA: Scatter-glare corrections in quantitative dual-energy fluoroscopy. Medical Physics 15(3):289-297, 1988.
- Mistretta CA, Miller WP, Toggart EJ: DSA: Emerging cardiac applications. Practical Cardiology 14(2) 113-123, 1988.
- Molloi SY, Mistretta CA: Quantification techniques for dual-energy cardiac imaging. Medical Physics 16(2), 209-217, Mar/Apr 89.
- McCollough CM, Van Lysel MS, Peppler WW, Mistretta CA: Noise reduction techniques for Dual-Energy DSA Imaging. Medical Physics, 16(6):873-880, 1989.
- Hangiandreou NJ, Toggart EJ, Mistretta CA: Investigation of the performance of Two Types of Doppler catheter In-vitro. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Diagnosis, (18):108-117, 1989.
- Goodman LR, Mistretta CA: Digital Chest Radiography. Current Opinion in Radiology, 1(1):34-39 June 1989.
- Ergun DL, Mistretta CA, Brown DE, Bystrianyk RT, Sze WK, Kelcz F, Naidich DP: Single-exposure dual-energy computed radiography: Improved detection and processing. Radiology 174(1):243-249, Jan 1990.
- Korosec FR, Weber DM, Mistretta CA, Turski PA, Bernstein MA: A data adaptive reprojection technique for MR angiography, Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 24(2):262-274, April 1992.
- Molloi SY, Weber DM, Peppler WW, Folts JD, Mistretta CA: Quantitative dual-energy coronary arteriography. Investigative Radiology 25(8):908-914, August 1990.
- Kelcz F, Peppler WW, Mistretta CA, De Smet A: K-edge digital subtraction arthrography of the painful hip prosthesis: A feasibility study. AJR 155(5):1053-1058, November 1990.
- Mistretta CA: Time and energy-subtraction techniques in digital radiography, Proceedings of Conference on Application of Physics to Medicine and Biology, Trieste, Italy, September 1990. Physica Medica VI (3-4), July-December 1990.
- Weber DW, Molloi SY, Folts JD, Peppler WW, Mistretta CA: Geometric quantitative coronary arteriography: A comparison of unsubtracted and dual-energy subtracted images. Investigative Radiology 26(7):649-654, July 1991.
- Hangiandreou NJ, Folts JD, Peppler WW, Mistretta CA: Coronary blood flow measurement using an angiographic first pass distribution technique: A feasibility study. Medical Physics, 18(5):947-954, Sept/Oct. 1991.
- Manning HL, Shefer RE, Klinkowstein RE, Mistretta CA: A Ka dual energy x-ray source for coronary angiography. Medical Physics, 18(5):880-893, Sept/Oct. 1991.
- Korosec FR, Mistretta CA, Turski PA: ECG-optimized phase contrast line-scanned MR angiography. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 24(2):221-235, April 1992.
- Korosec FR, Weber DM, Mistretta CA, Turski AP, Bernstein MA: A data adaptive reprojection technique for MR angiography. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 24(2):262-274, 1992.
- Wang Y, Mistretta CA, Shefer R, Manning H: Considerations regarding the use of x-ray capillary optics in medical radiography. Medical Physics, 19(3):533-544, May/June 1992.
- Petereit D, Mehta M, Turski P, Levin A, Strother C, Mistretta CA, Mackie R, Gehring M, Kubsad S, Kinsella T: Treatment of arteriovenous malformations with stereotactic radiosurgery employing both magnetic resonance angiography and standard angiography as a database. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, 24(0), 1992.
- Levine RL, Verro P, Korosec FR, Turski PA, Mistretta CA, Partington CR: Magnetic resonance angiographic study of vertebral-basilar flow voids. J Neuroimaging, 2(4): 175-180, October 1992.
- Swan JS, Weber DM, Grist TM, Wojtowycz MM, Korosec FR, Mistretta CA: Peripheral MR angiography with variable velocity Encoding. Cardiovascular Radiology (184):813 817, 1992.
- Korosec FR, Grist TM, Polzin J, Weber DM, Mistretta CA: MR angiography using velocity-selective preparatory pulses and segmented gradient echo acquisition. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 30:704-714, 1993.
- Mistretta CA: Relative Properties of MRA and Competing Vascular Modalities. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 3:685-698, 1993.
- Weber DW, Wang Y, Korosec FR, Mistretta CA: Quantitative Velocity Images from Thick Slab 2D Phase Contrast. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 29(2):216-225, 1993.
- Wang Yi: Generalized matched filtering for time-resolved MR angiography of pulsatile flow. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 30:600-608, 1993.
- Kruger DG, Zink F, Peppler WW, Ergun DL, Mistretta CA: A regional convolution kernel algorithm for scatter correction in dual-energy images: Comparison to single-kernel algorithms. Medical Physics 21(2)175-184, 1994.
- Kelcz F, Zink FE, Peppler WW, Kruger DG, Ergun DL, MIstretta CA: Conventional chest radiography vs dual-energy computed radiography in the detection and characterization of pulmonary nodules. The American Journal of Roentgenology, 162(2), 1994.
- Tu R, Kennell T, Turski PA, Polzin JA, Korosec FR, Mistretta CA: Gadodiamide enhanced complex difference phase contrast MRA. Academic Radiology 1:547-555, 1994
- Wang Y, Christy PS, Korosec MR, Alley MT, Grist TM, Polzin JA, Mistretta CA: Coronary MRI with a respiratory feedback monitor: The 2D imaging case. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 33:116-121, 1995.
- Polzin JA, Alley MT, korosec FR, Grist TM, Wang Y, Mistretta CA: A complex difference phase-contrast technique for measurement of volume flow rates. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging,5:129-137,1995.
- Wang T, Grist TM, Korosec FR, Christy PS, Alley MT, Polzin JA, Mistretta CA: Respiratory blur in 3D coronary MR imaging. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 33:541 548(1995).
- Kruger DG, Abreu CC, Hendee EG, Kocharian A, Peppler WW, Mistretta CA, MacDonald CA: Developments in Diagnostic Imaging. 23(2), February 1996.
- Polzin JA, Grist TM, Wedding K, Peters D, Mazaheri Y, Alley MT, Korosec FR, Frayne R, Mistretta CA: Frequency response of multi-phase segmented k-space phase contrast imaging. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 35:755-765, 1996.
- Polzin JA, Grist TM, Wedding K, Peters D, Mazaheri Y, Alley MT, Korosec FR, Frayne R, Mistretta CA: Effects of through-plane myocardial velocity on phase difference and complex difference estimates of absolute coronary artery flow. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 6(1)113-123, February 1996.
- FR Korosec, R Frayne, TM Grist, and CA Mistretta, Time-Resolved Contrast-Enhanced 3D MR Angiography, Magn. Reson. Med 36:345-351(1996)
- De Bruijn FJ, Bellers EB, Wang Y, Slump CH, Bentum MJ, Peppler WW, Kruger DG, Mistretta CA: An automatic calibration method for material decomposition using a single-exposure dual-energy system. Accepted for publication, Medical Physics.
- DG Kruger, CC Abreu, EG Hendee, A Kocharian, WW Peppler, CA Mistretta, and CA MacDonald, Imaging Characteristics of x-ray capillary optics in digital mammography. Medical Physics 23,2,Feb 1996
- Frayne R, Grist TM, Korosec FR, Willig DS, Swan JS, Turski PA and Mistretta CA, MR angiography with 3D MR-DSA. Topics in Magnetic Resonance Imaging 8: 366 388,1996.
- Frayne R, Polzin J, Mazaheri Y, Grist T, Mistretta CA: Effect of and correction for in-plane myocardial motion on estimates of coronary volume flow rates. JMRI 1997; 7:815-828
- Abreu CC, Kruger DG, MacDonald CA, Mistretta CA, Peppler WW, Xiao QF: Measurements of capillary-ray optics with potential for use in mammographic imaging. Submitted to Medical Physics.
- Wang Y, Grist T, and Mistretta CA, Dispersion in Magnetization Transfer Contrast at a Given Specific Absorption Rate due to Variations of RF Pulse Parameters in the Magnetization Transfer Preparation, Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 37:957 962(1997).
- Grist TM, Polzin JA, Bianco, JA, Foo, TKF, Bernstein, MA and Mistretta CA, Measurement of Coronary Blood Flow and Flow Reserve Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Cardiology 1997;88:80-89
- Mistretta CA, Grist TM, Korosec FR, Frayne R, Peters DC, Mazaheri Y and Carroll TJ, 3D Time-resolved contrast-enhanced MR-DSA: Advantages and Tradeoffs. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 40:571-581(1998).
- Willig DS, Turski PA, Frayne R, Graves VB, Korosec FR, Mistretta CA, and Grist TM, Contrast enhanced three dimensional magnetic resonance digital subtraction angiography of the carotid bifurcation: comparison with non-contrast two-dimensional and three dimensional tome-of-flight techniques. Radiology 1998:208:447-451.
- Unal O, Korosec FR, Frayne R, Strother CM, and Mistretta CA. Rapid 2D time-resolved variable k-space sampling MR technique for passive catheter tracking during endovascular procedures. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 40:356-362(1998)
- Mistretta CA and Grist TM.X-ray Digital Subtraction Angiography to Magnetic Resonance Digital Subtraction Angiography using 3D TRICKS . Investigative Radiology, Vol. 33, Number 9.496-505, 1998
- Wedding KL, Grist TM, Folts JD, Maalej N, Vigen, KK, Peters DC, Osman H, and Mistretta CA, Sources of variability in MR coronary flow and coronary flow reserve measurements in a canine model.Magn. Reson. Med., 40:656-665(1998).
- TM Grist, FR Korosec, DC Peters, S Witte, RC Walovitch, RP Dolan, WE Bridson, EK Yucel and CA Mistretta, Steady -State and Dynamic MR Angigography with MS-325: Initial Experience in Humans., Radiology 1998; 207: 539-544
- CM Strother,O. Unal, R Frayne, A Turk, R A Omary, FR Korosec, and CA Mistretta, Feasibility of the Endovascular Treatment of Experimental Canine Aneurysms using MR Guidance, revised manuscript submitted to Radiology, April, 1999
- FR Korosec, PA Turski, TJ Carroll, CA Mistretta and TM Grist, Contrast Enhanced MR Angiography of the Carotid Bifurcation, submitted to JMRI, May, 1999.
- Omary R., Frayne R., Unal O., Warner T., Korosec F., Mistretta C., Strotehr C., Grist T. Magnetic Resonance-guided Angioplasty of Renal Artery Stenosis in a Pig Model: A Feasibility Study. JVIR 2000;11:373-381.
- Carroll T., Korosec F., Swan J., Grist T., Mistretta C. A Method for Rapid Reconstruction of a Single Image Volume From a Time Resolved CE-MRA Exam. Magn. Reson. Med. (Submitted 1998).
- Vigen K., Korosec F., Frayne R., Grist T., Mistretta C. A Multi-Echo Technique for Time-Resolved Contrast-Enhanced 3D MR Angiography. J. Magn. Reson. Imaging. (Submitted 1998).
- Korosec F., Turski P., Carroll T., Mistretta C., and Grist T. Contrast-enhanced MR Angiography of the Carotid Bifurcation. JMRI, (Submitted May, 1999).
- Y. Mazaheri et al,, Vessel Segmentation of 3D MR Angiography Using Time Resolved Acquisition Curves, (in preparation).
- A. Barger et al.,Phase Contrast with Interleaved Undersampled Projections, accepted for publication in Magn. Reson. Med..
- Vigen KK, Peters DC, Grist TM, Block WF, Mistretta CA. Undersampled projection reconstruction imaging for time-resolved contrast-enhanced imaging. J. Magn. Reson. Imaging 2000;43:170-176.
- Dana C. Peters, Thomas M. Grist, Frank R. Korosec, James E. Holden, Walter F. Block, Kristin L. Wedding, Timothy J. Carroll, Charles A. Mistretta ,Undersampled Projection Reconstruction Applied to MR Angiography, Magn. Reson. Med., 43(1) January 2000, pages 91-101
- AV Barger, TM Grist, WF Block and CA Mistretta Single Breath-hold 3D Method for Assessment of Cardiac Function with Contrast Agents, Submitted to Magn. Reson. Med, June 2000.
- R Frayne, T Grist, J Swan, D Peters, F Korosec, and C Mistretta, 3D MR DSA: Effects of Injection Protocol and Image Masking. Accepted for publication, J. Magn. Reson. Imaging.